Top 10 List: Favorite Brownie Recipes

Quite possibly one of my favorite top 10 lists… Brownies!! They are dense, fudgy, packed full of chocolate, and infinitely customizable depending on your favorite flavors. There are peanut butter brownies, salted caramel, mint, Oreo, cheesecake… you name an ingredient, and I guarantee a brownie has been made with it. Below are my 10 all-time favorites – some all-chocolate, some special variations, and some popular favorites. Enjoy the selection!

1. Baked Brownie – The famed Baked brownie, in all its glory. This lives up to all of its hype and is by far my #1 favorite brownie recipe – fudgy, dense, chocolatey and delicious.

2. Chewy Brownies – These are a Cook’s Illustrated brain child – they were formulated specifically to recreate the taste and texture of box-mix brownies. They nailed it, and it’s definitely among my favorites.

3. Chocolate Mint Brownies – I used to love the little Andes mints from the Olive Garden, so these brownies play right into my hand. I love the fresh flavor of mint along with chocolate.

4. French Chocolate Brownies – The batter for these brownies is almost like a mousse and it results in brownies that are rich, light and yet somehow also fudgy. I love, love, love the crackly top as well!

5. Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars – The amazing magical brownies that every single person falls hopelessly in love with as soon as they taste them. A dense brownie base, topped with melted marshmallows and then a layer of melted chocolate and peanut butter mixed with rice krispies. Totally addicting.

6. Peanut Butter Brownies – A spin on the Baked brownie, with copious amounts of peanut butter filling swirled in. Perfection.

7. Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownie Bars – The cousin of the Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars above. Instead of a layer of melted marshmallow in the middle, there is a layer of chopped up peanut butter cups. Sooooo good!

8. Outrageous Brownies – A classic from Ina Garten, these almost taste like fudge. You can never have enough chocolate!

9. Salted Caramel Brownies – You also can never have enough salted caramel, I have come to realize. A basic brownie recipe with salted caramel swirled on top.

10. Sweet and Salty Brownies – Last but certainly not least, the Baked brownie with a layer of salted caramel baked right into the middle, and topped with a combination of coarse sugar and fleur de sel.

What are some of your favorite brownie recipes??

47 Responses to “Top 10 List: Favorite Brownie Recipes”

1. Jen of My Tiny Oven on June 20, 2011 at 12:16 am

Oh man this post is killing me! I will take 1 of each please! Excuse me for a minute while I get myself a tissue to wipe the drool off my chin. YUM!!!

2. Katrina on June 20, 2011 at 12:54 am

All of these look too good. Mmmm brownies…

3. Ruth on June 20, 2011 at 3:34 am

Those salted caramel brownies really caught my eye today! Great round-up!

4. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on June 20, 2011 at 6:09 am

So many of these look good! I can’t wait to try the Baked brownie.

5. Paula on June 20, 2011 at 8:22 am

When such tempting brownies are grouped together like this it is very difficult to choose a favourite or which one to bake first. Honestly, really would love to try them all!

6. Ann on June 20, 2011 at 8:38 am

Wow – looks amazing! How will I explain a pan of these on a healthy cooking website?

7. Ferreh on June 20, 2011 at 9:59 am

I made the Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies yesterday for Father’s Day and they were a HUGE hit with my husband! He is a PB/Chocolate freak and they were right up his alley. Really easy to make too!

8. Jenny Flake on June 20, 2011 at 10:00 am

What a great list of beautiful brownies!! Not sure which I’d try first!!

9. Cookin' Canuck on June 20, 2011 at 10:20 am

Now that is a post full of chocolate goodness. Those pb crunch brownies look incredible.

10. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on June 20, 2011 at 10:22 am

Uhmm YUM! I’ll try to not drool while going back up and staring at those pics. I think the first two are totally calling for me to make them asap!

11. sherri lynn on June 20, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’m so overwhelmed – which recipe do I try first?!

I love chocolate cookie dough brownies!

12. Audrey Ellen on June 20, 2011 at 11:27 am

What this list is telling me is that I need to buy the Baked cookbook as soon as I can!

13. alex on June 20, 2011 at 11:40 am

I just love brownies! Have you ever tried the browned butter brownie recipe from Bon Appetit? I think they are my new favorite!

14. Sarah @ pão e queijo on June 20, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Brownies are my weakness! Thank you for this!

15. JulieD on June 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I love brownies with ice cream on top. I have been wanting to try your salted caramel brownies forever! My favorite brownies right now are cheesecake brownies.

16. Heather on June 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I am in heaven!

Thanks for the Monday morning inspiration!

Time to hunt down some chocolate:)

17. Sues on June 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm

The chocolate mint brownies look phenomenal!! I’m planning on making some kind of brownie with my surplus of fresh mint today, but now I kind of just want to chow down on Andes chocolate :)

18. Susan on June 20, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Wow! Can I just have them all? Oh and glass of milk is probably in order. Yummy!!

19. Kristin on June 20, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I dont know which one I’d make first they all look so good!

20. christine [the sugar apothecary] on June 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Ohhhhh my goodness. MUST. MAKE. BROWNIES. Those mint ones looks so unbelievably good! Thanks for the top ten!!!

21. Maria on June 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm

They all look divine!

22. Tracy on June 20, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I really need to try those salted caramel brownies, holy yum. My favorite right now are the nutella crunch brownies I just made. The fudgier the better!

23. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef on June 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Oh man. these all look SO SO SO good. ahhh this post is dangerous!

24. Evan Thomas on June 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm

My favorite brownies are these grasshopper brownies: http://www.thewannabechef.net/2011/01/26/grasshopper-brownies/
    BUT I’m sure your peanut butter brownies would give them a run for their money if I tried them. The only thing I love more than chocolate and mint is chocolate and peanut butter.

25. Erin @ AroundTheFarmhouseTable on June 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I made the Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies for a party last weekend and they were a huge hit. I think I might have to try the carmel ones next!

26. Erin on June 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm

The Baked brownie is my favorite too, thanks to you! I never would have made them if not for your blog. They get rave reviews every time I make them :)

27. Iris on June 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Ahhh! These look so good! Desserts are definitely my weak spot. Diet ruined once again hahaha! Thanks :)

28. Maggie @MaggieCooks on June 20, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Yumm-O i would never say no to a brownie :D haha

29. Liz on June 20, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I have tried a number of these brownies…such a fabulous list of favorites! I recently have made a Kahlua and a caramel brownie that I’d add to my top 10….and I spied a few new ones of yours to bake. Thanks!

30. Meryl on June 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I love love love the Baked Brownie – my absolute favorite, and your photo is amazingly luscious!

31. teri@thefreshmancook on June 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I am going to make every brownie on this list. I think it is my duty to do so. My favorite brownie is the marbled brownie. I notice that it wasn’t on your list, so I will have to try all of yours to see why they are so superior as to not include the marbled wonder. :) Thanks for a great post!!!

32. Amanda on June 20, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Have you tried Alice Medrich’s Best Cocoa Brownies? I like them when they’re chilled- you’ll never need a chocolate bar again.

33. Lynn G. on June 21, 2011 at 11:44 am

YUM! I’m actually making the #10 today to send to my inlaws. I don’t know that I should be this excited about making (then eating) brownies. Thanks for a drool-worthy post. :)

34. The Chocolate Priestess on June 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm

OK, now I’m hungry for each and every one of these!

35. CoreySue on June 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

I made the Outrageous Brownies last night and I am in love. I have never had a homemade brownie that I liked more than the box-mix brownie, but this recipe is truly outrageous. Thanks for sharing and for all the great recipes and inspiration!

36. Angelica on June 25, 2011 at 6:26 am

My fav here is the Baked Brownie. Although I would not hesitate to pick any of them off the screen if its possible :D

37. Angela on June 26, 2011 at 8:25 am

You totally missed my favorite brownie….Cheesecake Brownies…or cream cheese swirled or something.with.cream.cheese!

38. Marelize on June 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Can I be honest? I have never found a brownie recipe that comes out as good as a boxed mix. Yet again, I’ve never tried any of your brownie recipes either. Which one would you recommend starting with?

39. Jessie on December 21, 2012 at 11:10 am

This post is my dream come true! I obsessively make brownies, I cant seem to find the perfect one. Surely after making these Ill have found it! Were to start?!

40. Camie on January 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Giving Ina Garten some love. Her brownies are my absolute favorite to make.

41. Easy Dessert Lover on March 7, 2013 at 1:43 am

these brownies look great! can’t wait to try each recipe!
    thanks for sharing!

42. Wendy on March 13, 2013 at 8:12 am

Michelle, have you tried the Zingerman’s Magic Brownie recipe? I had the opportunity to actually take the Zingerman’s brownie class where they teach you 4 different recipes, but more importantly, about technique and ingredients. Was an awesome experience, but best of all you got to go home with 4 pans of brownies that you made in class. I love their basic chewy brownie and use is for a base for a lot of ideas. And today I made your Peanut Butter Swirl but used the magic brownie base instead of the Baked brownie (which looks extremely yummy). And it was also awesome…

• Michelle on March 21st, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hi Wendy, I have not tried it, awesome that you got to take lots of brownies home with you!

43. Issac Maez on March 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Awesome blog article.Really thank you!

44. Penelope on November 20, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Love the pics of your brownies; unfortunately, tried two of your recipes and they both turned out dry and cakey. Did anyone else have this problem? Any additional tips are appreciated.