Snickerdoodle Muddy Buddies
Snickerdoodle Muddy Buddies are a cinnamon and sugar-coated rendition of one of my favorite snacks – candied Rice Chex!
Let’s talk muddy buddies, shall we?
If you’re not familiar with the name (it’s kind of weird, right?), you may have also heard this candy referred to as puppy chow (even weirder!). With the original version, you take Rice Chex cereal, coat it in a mixture of melted chocolate and peanut butter, then toss it in powdered sugar. It is SO incredibly addicting, as you could imagine. The best thing? There are a million and one different variations that you can make based on that original recipe.
Enter: Snickerdoodle Muddy Buddies!
A couple of months ago, I got a Twitter DM from a reader-turned friend-turned neighbor with a picture of the Chex brand snickerdoodle muddy buddies. She said her husband bought them for a road trip, and when she saw them she thought of me – first, that a homemade version was probably in order; and secondly, that they would make a great snack to take along to the hospital with me.
She was right on both accounts!
Less than a week later, I started working on my own recipe and found the perfect balance of candy coating, cinnamon and sugar.
These snickerdoodle muddy buddies are an awesome spin on the original recipe and perfect to keep in the fridge throughout the fall and holiday season. Set out a bowl for snacking during football games, while waiting for Thanksgiving dinner to be ready, or while baking Christmas cookies.
Whether you eat it by the handful or the bowlful, you’ll love this cinnamon-sugar snack – it’s super easy to mix together, keeps for ages in the refrigerator, and makes snacks for a crowd a cinch.
Bring on the holiday flavors!
Snickerdoodle Muddy Buddies
A cinnamon-sugar coated rendition of muddy buddies – one of my favorite snacks!
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 8 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 16 ounces CandyQuick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the powdered sugar, granulated sugar, and 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon in a gallon size ziploc bag; set aside.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place the Rice Chex cereal in a large bowl.
- Melt the CandyQuick in a medium bowl in the microwave according to the package directions. Once completely melted and smooth, stir in the the remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon and vanilla extract, and immediately pour over the Rice Chex. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir until all of the cereal is evenly coated.
- Transfer the coated cereal to the ziploc bag with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Seal the bag and shake until all of the cereal is coated with the sugar mixture. Turn the cereal out onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.