7 of the Best Ice Cream Recipes

It’s mid-May and summer is knocking at the door. After a run of 70-degree weather, then a dip into the 40’s and back again, I think it’s going to be smooth sailing from here on out in my corner of the world. And I can’t get ice cream out of my head. One of my all-time summertime comfort foods is a soft serve cone from the local ice cream stand – a “twist” of vanilla and chocolate, and covered in chocolate sprinkles. I swear, it has the power to make everything right in my world. When I’m not enjoying the neighborhood ice cream, I love to make my own and experimented with a lot of different flavors last year. My ice cream attachment is getting dusted off and is going to be churning out new varieties in the coming days, and in the meantime wanted to share some of my favorite recipes from last summer with you!

Classic Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Classic Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Rich, creamy and speckled with vanilla beans, this is the perfect basic vanilla recipe. Eat it plain or top it with your favorite sundae fixings.

Chocolate Ice Cream

Chocolate Ice Cream

Once you have a perfect vanilla ice cream recipe, you need to add an amazing chocolate version to your arsenal. And oh my, this is an amazing chocolate recipe. I have never tasted chocolate ice cream so rich in flavor. Simply amazing.

Tin Roof Ice Cream

Tin Roof Ice Cream

This one is for all of you chocolate and peanut lovers! Needless to say, if I make it, I will finish the entire batch within a few days. It’s dangerous. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. This is a classic vanilla recipe with a fudge ripple swirl and chocolate-covered peanuts mixed in. Amazing, right?

Butter Pecan Ice Cream

Butter Pecan Ice Cream

A recipe that is reminiscent of being a carefree kid, as butter pecan is a favorite flavor of in my family. The ice cream tastes like sweet toffee, and the crunch of salty pecans offer a great contrast.

Spumoni Ice Cream Terrine

Spumoni Ice Cream Terrine

A fabulous Italian ice cream dessert that consists of chocolate ice cream with hazelnuts, pistachio ice cream, and finished off with cherry ice cream that includes maraschino cherries, almonds and flavored with Amaretto.

Pistachio Nut Ice Cream

Pistachio Nut Ice Cream

If you love pistachios, you will absolutely adore this ice cream. Prior to making the custard for the ice cream, ground pistachios are steeped in the milk and cream, then strained. The resulting cream is infused with pistachio flavor; once the ice cream is almost done churning, big chunks of pistachio are mixed in. Delicious!

Espresso Ice Cream

Espresso Ice Cream

And a final recipe to give you a jolt of caffeine when you don’t want to brew a pot of coffee. All of the wonderful flavor of coffee in a bowl of ice cream. Starbucks has nothing on this!

My two favorite ice cream-making tools:

Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Mixer Attachment

The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?

29 Responses to “7 of the Best Ice Cream Recipes”

1. jennifer on May 14, 2010 at 1:31 am

o man. i need to get an ice cream attachment for my mixer ASAP. drooooooooooooooooool!

2. MaryMoh on May 14, 2010 at 2:21 am

Wow….all these ice creams look very delicious. I must try at least one. I love the Spumoni Ice Cream Terrine…..very summery :D

3. Amy on May 14, 2010 at 6:12 am

I am mostly a vanilla lover. You just can’t find a twist cone in our area anymore – bummer!
    I’ve been looking at these Kitchen Aid attachments for my mixer. I think I’m going to have to invest in one, pronto, since it is your pick too.

4. Katrina on May 14, 2010 at 7:20 am

I like the tin roof ice cream! Mmmm.

5. Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. on May 14, 2010 at 8:54 am

All those flavors look great! My favorite flavor is chocolate chip cookie dough!

6. Jen @ Project Cookie 365 on May 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

What??! KA has an ice cream attachment?!? How the heck does that work? (You don’t have to answer, I’ll get around to researching it haha) I was looking at buying an ice cream maker this year… And this post is soooo going on my to-do list!

7. roxan on May 14, 2010 at 11:31 am

Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE pistachio ice cream. It’s been my favorite ever since I was a kid. Thank you!

8. Amanda on May 14, 2010 at 11:50 am

oooh I’ve been waiting for summer to make ice cream since October! that coffee ice cream.. dangerous.
    Thank you!!

9. Heather (Heather's Dish) on May 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm

my FAVORITE of all time is either peanut butter cup or cookies n cream…HOLY YUM!

10. Emily @Cleanliness on May 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm

They all look divine!

11. Tracy on May 14, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Yum, all of these look wonderful!

12. Married to an Aussie in OK on May 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I *LOVE* tin roof ice cream and haven’t seen it in AGES…

13. Julia on May 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

2 days ago I decided my ice cream bowl will permanently take a place in the freezer for the next 4 months. I can’t wait to make GOBS of new ice cream flavors, love all of these!

14. Eliana on May 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I scream, you scream we all scream for ice cream. These kinds of posts get me so excited because ice cream is my favorite summer treat.

15. Julie M. on May 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Well I ‘m not sure. Some of yours look amazing. Tin Roof and Spumoni can come visit my house any day of the week.

I did make a homemade blueberry cheesecake ice cream last summer that I am still dreaming about. I think I’ll have to whip up another batch of it this summer (or tomorrow).

Have a great weekend!

16. Jen @ How To: Simplify on May 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Yum…I would love some ice cream right now, especially some of that Tin Roof ice cream!

17. The Chocolate Priestess on May 14, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I wish we had an ice cream maker. We got some odd things for wedding presents but not an ice cream maker many years back.

18. Belinda @zomppa on May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Great. Now all I can think about is ice cream. =)

19. Chef Dennis on May 14, 2010 at 7:48 pm

you got me with the butter pecan!!! I do love Ice cream
    thanks for sharing!

20. Yael on May 15, 2010 at 6:06 am

There is no way I could choose my favorite ice cream flavor. I am totally an ice cream freak! Just this morning I made milk chocolate ice cream with cocoa nibs from David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop. Absolutely divine!

21. Sarah on May 15, 2010 at 11:54 am

I’m glad I found this blog. I’ve just started making home made ice cream with a White Mountain hand crank machine and the kids think it’s awesome.

If you don’t make your own ice cream you should give it a try. Here’s an interesting article I found that might be helpful to folks thinking about making their own.

22. Cookin' Canuck on May 15, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I am still determined to try your tin roof ice cream. I’m ready for summer!

23. nicole on May 16, 2010 at 9:42 am

Ice cream is my favorite dessert. I think I would be in big trouble if I started to make my own, but looking at all of these how can I not??

24. Andrea on May 16, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I love Spumoni Ice Cream Terrine is my favourite! Yumm.

25. Linn @ Swedish home cooking on May 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm

You can never have to much ice-cream! I just had the most amazing lemon ice cream scoop at Bertillion here in Paris. It doesn’t get much better than that!

26. The Housewife on May 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Ooo it’s the Tin Roof flavor for me all the way! Anything with chocolate covered peanuts is definitely a winner!

27. Maria on May 16, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I am craving ice cream now!

28. Maggy @ Three Many Cooks on May 16, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Great post on ice cream. Now I want an ice cream sundae!

29. DessertForTwo on June 3, 2010 at 11:56 am

Ok, you just inspired me to put my freezer bowl from my ice cream maker back into the freezer. I take it out for the winter for extra freezer space, but you’re right…it’s summer and it’s ice cream season! I think I’ll start with your pistachio! I never thought I could make it at home! Thanks for sharing! :)
    P.S. Found you through Tasty Kitchen!