Taco Dip

Taco Dip

I love appetizers. I could make many a meal out of them. Specifically, I love dip. And I love any excuse to make dip. Friends coming over? Football or hockey game on? Watching a movie? Dip it is! I have many favorites and always love trying new varieties when out to eat or when I come across a new recipe, but a few are tried and true that I grew to love when I was younger. This is one of those recipes. It fueled the obsession I had with tacos as a kid. Anything that looked or tasted like a taco, I was all over. This dip mostly showed up at summer parties, so it’s a great option if you need a 4th of July appetizer this weekend, but like I said, any day is a good day for dip! (Just like it’s always a great day for hockey!)

Taco Dip

The dip itself is a great base that you can top with whatever your favorite taco-themed ingredients are. I love the simplicity of lettuce, tomato and cheese, but you could throw on black beans, corn, green chilies, whatever your heart desires. My favorite entertaining recipes are those that are insanely simple and very adaptable, both of which are important when you’re prepping for a party. Time saved is gold! So get out one bowl, one spoon, and whip this up for the weekend.

Taco Dip

Yield: One 9x13-inch pan

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 (16-oz) container of sour cream
1½ cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or 1 store-bought packet)
Shredded lettuce
1 tomato, chopped
Shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning. Mix with a spoon until thoroughly blended together. Spread in a 9x13-inch pan. Top with lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

23 Responses to “Taco Dip”

1. Sarah on July 1, 2010 at 1:43 am

I LOVE layer dips. I especially love them with guacamole and olives. Yum yum yum…

2. Nick (Macheesmo) on July 1, 2010 at 7:58 am

Dips like this are always my favorite at grill parties. Perfect for the upcoming weekend!

3. Krystle on July 1, 2010 at 9:52 am

I love dips! This looks delicious…I will have to try this out this weekend

4. Alissa on July 1, 2010 at 10:02 am

You can never go wrong with Taco Dip!

5. Eliana on July 1, 2010 at 11:16 am

I’m normally dangerous around dip. If I had this one in front of me, I can see myself gobbling it all up. Looks delicious Michelle.

6. Lauren Norris on July 1, 2010 at 11:42 am

Is it bad that I ate most of this for dinner last night??!? haha

7. Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes on July 1, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I, too, am obsessed with dips and appetizers. And I keep asking ,”when’s football season again?” because I miss it so much – mostly because of the food and fun it brings! I am so adding this one to my arsenal. xxSAS

8. Chris on July 1, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Guilty! I can’t say no to dips. This looks delish…and simple! ;)

9. Belinda @zomppa on July 1, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Great dip for the 4th!!

10. Cook with Madin on July 1, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I always love dips, this is one is a keeper. Thank you for sharing.

11. Baking Serendipity on July 1, 2010 at 8:13 pm

This looks great! I love the versatility and the edges lined with scoops :)

12. Heidi on July 1, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Bet the crisp cool lettuce contrasts nicely with the creaminess of the dip. My favorite guilty pleasure is BBQ Fritos (not always easy to fine) and French Onion Dip. Oh yeah!

13. Laura on July 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm

OMG something about this taco dip turns me into a 12 year old saying Taco dip is my favorite thing ever ever evvver!
    But seriously, it is. I could (have) eat my weight in that stuff.

14. bridget {bake at 350} on July 2, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Taco dip is so dang good! And now I REALLY want some!

15. Magic of Spice on July 5, 2010 at 3:06 pm

What a great dip, yum!

16. Ashley on July 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm

How fun! I love a good dip recipe.

17. Jennifer Y. on July 9, 2010 at 11:23 am

Taco dip is one of my all time favorites! I’m making a version of this for a get together tonight. I use cream cheese and sour cream and add scallions too. There is never any left–yum!

18. Jen @ How To: Simplify on July 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm

One of my weaknesses is a delicious dip. I’m quite the snacker! I would love to sit down with a big bowl of this and go to town!

19. Courtney on July 20, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I made this dip for my little girl’s birthday party. It was absolutely fabulous!!! I made two pans and my crowd cleaned them out. I love your recipes. Thank you!!!

20. foodlvr on August 26, 2010 at 11:36 am

I love taco dip too. Such a classic and just delicious. I could also make a meal of it. And have.

21. The Mistress of Spices on June 7, 2011 at 5:16 am

Meant to tell you that I made this for our New Year’s Eve party last year, which had a “tropical” theme with foods inspired by warm places. It was delicious and so easy to make! Thanks very much for sharing.

22. sillycharli on December 2, 2011 at 4:39 am

This dip uses the same basic principle mine does of mixing the sour cream with the taco seasoning, but I layer mine with beans, the sour cream/seasoning mixture, cheese, freshly chopped tomatoes, and olives! It’s delicious :). My mom even adds guacamole to hers. That’s the fun thing about dips, you can add whatever you want!

23. Debra Kapellakis on April 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

WOW! This is so cool, quick, easy and yummy. I make my own taco seasoning too.