St. Patrick’s Day Recipes

It seems there’s barely time to take a breath after recovering from all of the food from Mardi Gras before plowing full steam ahead into St. Patrick’s Day. But here we are, just a little over a week away from the annual Irish celebration that of course always includes tons of fabulous food (and drink!). I will be featuring St. Patrick’s Day-themed recipes from now through next Thursday, but thought that before I do that I would get you caught up on the ones that are already lurking in my archives. Enjoy! :)

Beer Waffles with Cinnamon-Caramel Apples

Anything made with beer is good for St. Patty’s Day, right?! These waffles have a great flavor and texture, and you could certainly use Guinness!

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

One of my all-time favorite homemade ice creams. Plus, throw a few scoops in a blender with some milk and you’ll have a homemade shamrock shake!

Irish Soda Bread

A St. Patrick’s Day classic – so simple and tasty. Perfect for soaking up any Irish stew that you’re making.

Irish Soda Bread Scones

A scone variety flavored with currants and caraway seeds; delicious!

Shamrock Sugar Cookies

Because you can’t have a holiday without decorated sugar cookies :)

Shortbread Cookies

Buttery and flaky, they are a perfect after-dinner treat to enjoy with your Baileys-spiked coffee.

What’s your favorite St. Patrick’s Day recipe?

34 Responses to “St. Patrick’s Day Recipes”

1. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on March 9, 2011 at 6:12 am

I haven’t really celebrated St. Patty’s Day since college, but your mint ice cream looks like a good excuse. Now I just need an ice cream maker…

2. Happy When Not Hungry on March 9, 2011 at 6:31 am

Love all your St. Patty’s Day dishes especially those shamrock cut out cookies. They looks so cute, almost too cute to eat… almost!

3. Lori @ Girl Meets Oven on March 9, 2011 at 7:11 am

When it comes to savory dishes, my favorite would be Irish soda bread. When it comes to sweet ones, it has to be a shamrock shake!

Great list of Saint Patty’s Day recipe ideas.

4. Blog is the New Black on March 9, 2011 at 8:02 am

Yum! St. Patty’s day overload!

5. The Food Hound on March 9, 2011 at 8:08 am

My birthday is St. Patrick’s Day so it’s naturally my favorite holiday!! Love your recipes!! Esp the first one about the waffles and apples– yay!

6. Melissa on March 9, 2011 at 9:10 am

This is so fun! I don’t have any particular St. Patty’s Day recipes, but I love a good Shamrock Shake! :)

7. Lauren on March 9, 2011 at 9:52 am

Just wanted to ask, why do American’s call it St PATTY’s Day?! It’s PADDY’S :P
    I’m born and raised in the North West of Ireland, you guys are saying it WRONG!
    I thought Guiness Cake would be making an appearance but I guess not! Traditional fare would be a full irish breakfast in the morning! Potato farls and black and white pudding, some Gur Cake for a sweet and of course Barm Brack and treacle bread!!
    Nice stick to your ribs grub on a day like that to soak up all the pints! :P

Would love to see you try some lesser known Irish treats, we don’t all just sit here and eat ham and cabbage!

• Michelle on March 9th, 2011 at 10:27 am

Haha Lauren, I don’t know why we call it St. Patty’s Day! I haven’t made a Guinness cake before, but do plan on making some Guinness chocolate cupcakes. As for the lesser-known Irish treats, since I’m not from there and don’t have any family that are either, I’m not really familiar – I would be happy to have you share some recipes with me though!

8. Maria on March 9, 2011 at 10:32 am

I love the bright green shamrock cookies! So fun!

9. Cookin' Canuck on March 9, 2011 at 10:48 am

Those cookies are adorable, Michelle. Great list of recipes for St. Paddy’s Day.

10. Michelle on March 9, 2011 at 10:56 am

Irish Bread Pudding with raisins and a caramel Irish Whiskey sauce is an annual tradition of ours. My husband also makes homemade Corned Beef (brines for 2 weeks) and Colcannon. We have a feast that we share with our friends and family every year.

11. jen @ the baked life on March 9, 2011 at 11:02 am

the shamrock cookies look so cute!

Maybe I’ll tackle the sode bread, been kind of on a bread baking bender lately….

12. Lauren on March 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

Gur cake is the name given to a cake sold in bakeries that was made out of stale bread and cakes that were left over from the day before. Young lads who mitched off school were known as “gurriers” around Dublin City, so “going on the gur” was to skip school. Because these cakes were so cheap to buy, the young lads would usually only have enough to buy one and this would fuel their school skipping activities!
    Here’s an Irish recipe for Gur Cake that is pretty traditional!
    It’s a very forgiving recipe so you can tailor it to your own tastes. I personally put a good bit more brown sugar in and use heaps of spice and more raisins! Lemon rind is also not essential.

Ps: “Shamrock” and “Odlums” are brands so don’t heed them when it says “shamrock raisins” :) Also an Irish dessertspoonful isn’t the same as a tablespoon, it resembles a small mountain so don’t be afraid of adding a heavy amount of spice! :P
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Obsessed isn’t the word!

13. Jenny Flake on March 9, 2011 at 11:19 am

Fun round-up! Love Green recipes!

14. Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com on March 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm

That is the happiest cookie we’ve ever laid eyes on!!! We’re passing on the Stylish Blogger Award to you, http://picture-perfectmeals.blogspot.com/2011/03/wed-like-to-thank-academy.html. Thanks for the great recipes you share with us all!

15. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on March 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

This is a wonderful assortment of St. Patrick’s Day food, Michelle! I know my husband and I both would love those waffles! Thanks for sharing.

16. Tiffany on March 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm

BEER WAFFLES! Yum :D

17. Lindsey@Lindselicious on March 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Awesome roundup! Beer waffles sound so good, I’m drooling at work. =)

18. Sprinkled With Flour on March 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’ve never really celebrated St. Patrick’s Day, but there is such great opportunity to bake fun, green inspired goodies i’ll have to join in the fun. Your recipes all look so festive and delicious, it’s hard to pick a favorite:)

19. Jen on March 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Thanks a lot for the recipes, especially the beer waffles :D

20. Belinda @zomppa on March 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I can’t believe it’s almost St. Patrick’s Day already!! These cookies are simply delightful!

21. Hezzi-D on March 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Love the shamrock cookies-they are so cute! I’m also thinking about making the Irish soda bread, it doesn’t look too hard.

22. The Chocolate Priestess on March 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I take the chocolate covered shortbread cookies… no one try to stop me!

23. Katrina on March 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

St. Pat’s day is so fun! I love dressing in green and getting wild for the night. Awesome recipes :)

24. Kankana on March 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm

such a BEAUTIFUL display .. love the cookies .. super cute green colors !

25. Tracy on March 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Great roundup! Love St. Patty’s day recipes!

26. Firefly on March 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Love those cookies so cute! Great collection of recipes!

27. Peggy on March 10, 2011 at 5:51 am

My brother’s birthday is on St. Patrick’s Day and all of these treats would be a perfect gift to send to him!!

28. Liz on March 10, 2011 at 10:03 am

I wish my hubby liked corn beef and cabbage…I’d definitely make that…but also love Irish brown bread (and of course, your fabulous iced cookies!).

29. Pam on March 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Normally it would be something sweet….any excuse to have something sweet and delish! My birthday is the day after SP day and I’m turning the big 5-0 this year so I think thats the best reason ever to have a sweet treat!

30. Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner on March 11, 2011 at 1:05 am

I love GREEN smoothies for St. Patty’s. :D

xoxo
    Kathleen

31. Janine on March 14, 2011 at 1:22 am

my all time fave st patty’s recipe gotta be the mint ice cream :D looks like a good opportunity for me to make mint today hee

32. Apicius' Apprentice on March 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm

These are so fun!!! I may have to try the scones this week. The cookies are also super cute! I just love this site so much <3