Thanksgiving Turkey Cupcakes

I’m not sure how many times I have said this in the last month, but it bears repeating: I am totally in love with Pinterest. While you can browse and bookmark virtually anything, I find it especially useful for finding new recipes and food ideas that I otherwise may not have noticed. Case in point: these incredibly adorable little candy turkeys. I saved these to my holiday board because they are so cute, but didn’t think I’d really have an opportunity to use them. And then it hit me – cupcake toppers! They look so regal sitting up there on the chocolate cupcakes, totally festive and worthy of a Thanksgiving dessert. Plus, these are a perfect project for kids if you have little ones that want to help out in the kitchen. (Or, big kids that love eating discarded pieces of candy. That would be me.)

This is all you need to make turkeys! Helloooooo candy :)

Here is your ingredient list:

Cupcakes, tops flattened and lightly frosted (see Dark Chocolate Cupcakes and Chocolate Buttercream)
Oreo cookies
Whoppers
Miniature Reese’s peanut butter cups
Candy corn
Assorted icing – yellow, white and red

I am going to send you over to Our Best Bites for the step-by-step instructions on making these. Sara did a seriously awesome job of walking readers through how to make them, and I definitely couldn’t do it better! Plus, her turkeys are so stinkin’ cute. They would certainly take 1st prize in a turkey beauty contest. But my guys were just as delicious :)

Don’t you just love the holidays?!

One year ago: Thanksgiving Tips: Cooking the Turkey
Two years ago: Thick and Hearty Chili

Thanksgiving Turkey Cupcakes

Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

Oreo cookies
Whoppers
Miniature Reese's peanut butter cups
Candy corn
Assorted icing - yellow, white and red

Directions:

I am going to send you over to Our Best Bites for the step-by-step instructions on making these. Sara did a seriously awesome job of walking readers through how to make them, and I definitely couldn't do it better! Plus, her turkeys are so stinkin' cute. They would certainly take 1st prize in a turkey beauty contest. But my guys were just as delicious :)

Don't you just love the holidays?!

44 Responses to “Thanksgiving Turkey Cupcakes”

1. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) on November 17, 2011 at 12:36 am

Adorable and appetizing! I want to eat the tops off of all of them and leave the cake behind, LOL.

2. Naomi Davis on November 17, 2011 at 2:01 am

Who can resist the fun of making something so cute? Too adorable.

3. Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on November 17, 2011 at 2:41 am

I’ve seen these on Pinterest as well, and always think that they’re so adorable! It doesn’t hurt that I love all the candies involved in making the turkey either :)

4. Choc Chip Uru on November 17, 2011 at 3:15 am

You gave me a heart attack with that title!!! But on arrival to your page I realize all it is are beautiful cupcakes which need making… Phew

5. Blog is the New Black on November 17, 2011 at 5:19 am

Adorable! I made something similar last year!

6. Laura @ Laura's Sweet Spot! on November 17, 2011 at 5:56 am

Wow! These are super cute. Definitely going to make these one day.

7. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on November 17, 2011 at 6:14 am

These are too adorable! Love it.

8. Katrina on November 17, 2011 at 6:25 am

I am seriously in love with these! So cute!

9. Jessica on November 17, 2011 at 7:01 am

Oh these are so cute!! The turkey cupcakes title took my attention and I had to look! Well done! They look great!

10. Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers on November 17, 2011 at 7:28 am

Omg, Omg! There so dam cute, dam it! Why do you always show us such wonderful looking treats? Whats sad is I have all those candies left over from Halloween. Now I need to get Oreo’s! How much of a pain in the behind were they putting together? I always attempt to make something pretty like that, and realize I spent 3 hours doing so. lol Yah, I’ll be making these next week!

11. amanda @ fake ginger on November 17, 2011 at 7:58 am

I love these! I pinned them too but then got scared of how time consuming they looked. Might need to do them anyway after seeing how good yours turned out!

12. Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen on November 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

I saw the title in my RSS feed and thought, “Oh I hope they don’t really have turkey in them!” Thanks for passing along this cute idea. I’m glad they’re not actually turkey cupcakes. :)

13. Mal @ The Chic Geek on November 17, 2011 at 9:35 am

aw, these are so cute!

14. Kim of Mo'Betta on November 17, 2011 at 9:39 am

I’ve seen the adorable cookies but it hasn’t occurred to me to put them on cupcakes! How cute!

15. Anna on November 17, 2011 at 9:43 am

The topping alone makes you want to make this :)

16. Amber, RD on November 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

These are too cute and they just might have to make an appearance on our Thanksgiving table. Thanks for sharing!

17. Jen on November 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

Those cupcakes are ADORABLE. Our Thanksgiving is over (Canada) but I want to try making a gluten free version because they’re so cuuute!

18. Jul on November 17, 2011 at 11:01 am

When I first read this on my rss feed, I thought- eww gross. How can turkey cupcakes be a good thing. I was happily surprised to see cookies and reeses on top of a chocolate cupcake!

19. Paula on November 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

For some reason I was expecting to see cupcakes made from turkey meat! What a lovely and delightful surprise. These are adorable.

20. Natalie@DeconstructingTheHome on November 17, 2011 at 11:42 am

Such a cute idea! The kids at our thanksgiving would love these.

21. Angie @ Bigbearswife on November 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I love these little turkeys. I made some the year before last, but I didn’t put them on cupacakes :) super cute!

22. Jessica on November 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Freaking adorable. Love!

23. Bonnie on November 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm

SO CUTE! I seriously have no patience to make something with so much detail…can you come over? :)

24. Toni McFadden on November 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Oh! So cute and perfect activity for some of the kiddos at the Thanksgiving gathering. I’ll have supplies ready and they can assemble…they won’t be as cute as yours, but will keep those kiddos busy. Thanks for the awesome idea.

25. katie @KatieDid on November 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm

SO freaking adorable, I’m in love! I really wish I was going to be around for Thanksgiving so make these for my family.

26. nicole {sweet peony} on November 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm

these cupcakes are adorable! i love how you used all {deliciously} edible ingredients to make the toppers! love em!

27. Drick on November 17, 2011 at 8:35 pm

yup, this big ol’ kid will love this too… so glad you found this inspiration….

28. Diana @ a girl, a dog & an oven on November 17, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I love these!! So cute!!

29. Jen on November 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm

What a great project for kids! Super cute.

30. Sofie Dittmann AKA The German Foodie on November 18, 2011 at 9:34 am

I’m not much into cupcakes, but are these the cutest ones you’ve ever seen OR WHAT?! :)

31. Ally on November 18, 2011 at 9:39 am

Are these for real!? Wow… amazing artistry! I wouldn’t even want to eat them they’re so cute. Fabulous job!!
    xo

32. Tracy on November 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm

These are so adorable!!

33. Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes on November 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Way too cute!!!

34. The Galley Gourmet on November 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm

My mother and my children made these last year and used them as place cards for the kids table. They turned out so cute and they had such fun making them! Using them as cupcake toppers is certainly taking it to the next level– love it!

35. marla on November 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

These are darling & totally pinned :)

36. kita on November 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I love me some pinterest too but this post proves you have far more patience than myself. There would have just been a trail of candy wrappers if I had tried to pull this one off ;)

37. RisaG on November 19, 2011 at 3:44 pm

They are so cute. Great way of using up Halloween Candy and cookies. Just adorable.

38. Marissa on November 22, 2011 at 6:32 pm

So cute I love them – making them for a little Thanksgiving treat. They are so cute – they are a work of art and probably pretty simple to make. I’m going to run out to the store now and get the ingredients. So excited to make these cute little Turkeys. Amazing idea!

39. Martha in KS on November 22, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Thanks for sharing this idea. I made a dozen of the turkeys (without the cupcakes) and it took quite a bit of time. The challenging part was getting the icing to dry and hold the parts together. I used Pillsbury icing in a can & it was moist and took a long time to set up. Next time I’ll make my own icing without butter. I’m going to put each one in a cupcake paper & use as decoration on our Thanksgiving dinner table. I hope your family has a Happy Thanksgiving!

• Michelle on November 22nd, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Hi Martha, A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!

40. Gerri Powell on November 29, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I just wanted to thank you for the wonderrful cupcake idea for Thanksgiving. My kids and I had a great time making them after dinner on Thanksgiving. We also enjoyed eating them too! I posted our cupcakes on my blog, Frosted Memories, so check it out: http://frostedmemoriesblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-first-christmas.html

Thanks again!

41. Sarah Gomez on November 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I made these last year and came out so cute! LOVE IT!!!! Thanks :)

42. Dawn on November 21, 2012 at 12:15 am

They r so cute and I was so excited to make them! But I couldn’t get the back cookie to stand up no matter what! Even tried toothpicks. So we adjusted. We had already made cake batter cookies(yum-o!!!) And we just put the Reese’s cup on the cookie and decorated the top of the cookie the same, i guess u could say the turkey was just standing instead of sitting. Still turned out cute. Just need to transport 72 to school tomorrow with a 6 n 9yr old helping. Yikes!

43. Kristine on January 24, 2013 at 9:42 am