25 Excuses to Bake in September

apple

Can you believe that we’re a day away from September? I have no idea where the summer went, but ready or not, here comes fall! Apple picking, football parties, hearty stews, spicy chili – all signs that fall has arrived. In case you are short on ideas for what to bake in the coming month, or just want a good excuse to cover the kitchen in flour, here are 25 reasons you should dust off your apron and get baking!

25 Excuses to Bake in September

1. National Biscuit Month. I have yet to find a go-to biscuit recipe, so if you have one, please share! These Cheddar Cheese Biscuits recently caught my eye, and I’m definitely planning on trying them.

2. National Honey Month. I love baking with honey; it provides such a great subtle sweetness. Two of my favorite recipes using honey are the Fluted Polenta Ricotta Cake and Cucidati (Italian Fig Cookies).

3. National Papaya Month. I have never made anything with papaya! Do you have a great papaya recipe? Share it below!

4. National Potato Month. Oh, potatoes, carb-y goodness. Perhaps you’d like a Potato-Bacon Torte or to try your hand at Homemade Gnocchi. If you’re looking for a side dish, roasted red potatoes are always a great standby.

5. National Waffle Week. Celebrate with these Brown Sugar-Bacon Buttermilk Waffles!

6. Cherry Popover Day (Sept 1st). I’ve never had a cherry popover. Does anyone have a recipe to share?

7. Macadamia Nut Day (Sept 4th). What better to make for Macadamic Nut Day than White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies?

8. Cheese Pizza Day (Sept 5th). There’s always room for pizza! This is my favorite crust recipe. Speaking of pizza, does anyone have a great deep dish pizza recipe they could share?

9. Coffee Ice Cream Day (Sept 6th). Forget the Starbucks brand at the store, you can churn your own! I have yet to make David Lebovitz’s recipe, but I definitely have it on the to-do list.

10. Date Nut Bread Day (Sept 8th). I simply cannot wait to make the Date Nut Spice Bread by Ina Garten. I’m thinking that it could be a fabulous central point for a holiday gift basket.

11. Hot Cross Bun Day (Sept 11th). These are on My 100 List, but I have yet to make them. If you have a great recipe, please share!

12. Peanut Day (Sept 13th). If you’re looking for some great peanut-y treats and enjoy peanuts and chocolate together, you will love a Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte and Tin Roof Ice Cream.

13. Cream Filled Donut Day (Sept 14th). I haven’t had a donut in years, but the idea of making homemade donuts sounds so tempting. Would love some recipe recommendations!

14. Linguine Day (Sept 15th). Making your own homemade pasta can be a tad time-consuming, but it’s well worth the effort. Fresh-tasting and a million times better than store-bought dried!

15. Guacamole Day (Sept 16th). I am ashamed to admit I have never made guacamole! I’m looking for a standard recipe to get me through football season. If you have a favorite, I’d love to try it!

16. Apple Dumpling Day (Sept 17th). Nothing says fall like apples!

17. Cheeseburger Day (Sept 18th). I could quite possibly live on cheeseburgers and French fries. I have been wanting to make these Old-Fashioned Cheeseburgers from Cook’s Illustrated for over a year now.

18. Butterscotch Pudding Day (Sept 19th). David Lebovitz has what looks to be an absolutely spectacular butterscotch pudding recipe on his site.

19. Pecan Cookie Day (Sept 21st). What is your favorite pecan cookie?

20. Ice Cream Cone Day (Sept 22nd). Fill an ice cream cone with your favorite ice cream recipe, or bake and decorate these insanely cute ice cream cone sugar cookies!

21. White Chocolate Day (Sept 23rd). There are so many fun things to do with white chocolate. Peppermint Bark is probably my favorite, but it’s not quite the season yet. What’s your favorite recipe with white chocolate?

22. Cherries Jubilee Day (Sept 24th). The Repressed Pastry Chef has a delicious-looking recipe for Cherries-Jubilee Shortcake you might want to check out.

23. Pancake Day (Sept 26th). Your family will love you for waking them up with the smell of homemade pancakes wafting from the kitchen. Add blueberries, bananas, or chocolate chips to spruce them up!

24. Strawberry Cream Pie Day (Sept 28th). The Way the Cookie Crumbles has a Strawberries and Cream Pie that looks simply divine.

25. Coffee Day (Sept 29th). You’ve been baking all month… treat yourself to Starbucks :)

Don’t miss a post! Subscribe to the Brown Eyed Baker RSS feed!

28 Responses to “25 Excuses to Bake in September”

1. Maria on August 31, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Wow, Sept. might be really busy! I don’t think I can keep up though:) Fun list!

2. Jenn @ Pete Eatemall on August 31, 2009 at 1:09 pm

What a perfect list…its fridge worthy! Its a great excuse to shop and bake…Thanks for sharing!

3. snacksgiving on August 31, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Thats a nice list. I guess the one thing that has most grabbed my attention is the Chocolate Peanut butter torte. But thats a big list – it’ll take me all of fall and winter to churn it all out..haha

4. Jen on August 31, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the list… looks like you’re going to be busy in September.

For #15, my go-to guacamole recipe is 4 avocados, juice of 1 lime, and garlic salt, to taste (I use about 1/2 palm full). Just mash it all together with a fork. If you feel like adding a little more interest, throw in about a 1/4 of a finely diced red onion, and 2 diced roma tomatos. Keep it simple – its easy and so, so good.

5. Alison on August 31, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Google Alton Brown’s guac recipe–made it Sat night and loved it!

6. Alta on August 31, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Love this list! I think I need to bookmark it so when it comes time for me to make my grocery list, I remember to make something for these special days! BTW, I have my personal fav. guac recipe on my blog, check it out: http://tastyeatsathome.wordpress.com/2009/02/25/guacamole/

7. BigSis on August 31, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Great information. Thanks for putting it together for us! Here’s our family recipe for Guacamole. Some people use tomato and jalapenos in theirs, but we keep it pretty simple.

8. stephchows on August 31, 2009 at 2:22 pm

who knew!! I can’t wait for John’s kitchen to be done so I can get baking and cooking again!

9. BAKING is my ZeN on August 31, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Michelle,
    I will be taking a baking course at a college this semester. I’ll be really busy with the class agenda. So, I will definitely be wearing my chef white or apron. My oven will be fired up for baking quite often!

10. Erin Brooks on August 31, 2009 at 4:43 pm

What now special food day on the 12th my b-day!? :P lol
    I think I like the cheese pizza day, the cheeseburger day and the white chocolate day the best. Sept was my favorite month but now I like it a lot more!

11. Valerina on August 31, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Uh oh. Another incentive to incorporate peanut butter into something and make it as deliciously unhealthy as possible!

These are great, thank you. :)

12. MarthaAndMe on August 31, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Love this! I tweeted it.

13. Jennifer S. on August 31, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I made hot cross buns last year for Easter. The recipe is posted here http://ladyriposter.blogspot.com/2009/04/hot-cross-buns.html

They’re a wonderful little bun! I fell in love with them when I lived in England and decided to take the plunge and attempt them last Easter.

14. Amy on August 31, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Just tried this http://callies-biscuits.blogspot.com/ recipe tonight, I think the cream cheese really makes the mixture creamy and moist. Even the hubs who doesn’t like biscuits was raving.

15. Em on August 31, 2009 at 9:29 pm

This is a fantastic list – thanks for including my Cherries-Jubilee Shortcake :)

16. Eliana Ramos on August 31, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I have no excuse to not get in the kitchen in September.

17. April on August 31, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO making that potato-bacon torte for dinner tomorrow!! I usually cheat with Pilsbury ready-made crust, but I’m gonna be brave and do it myself!

18. Debi (Table Talk) on September 1, 2009 at 7:32 am

I had no idea my wedding anniversary was on cream filled donut day–funny.
    I love guacamole!
    Recipe:
    3 very ripe Haas avocados, peeled, pitted, cut into 2-inch pieces
    Juice of one lime
    3/4 t salt
    1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 Roma tomatoes, seeded, diced
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Combine avocados and next 5 ingredients together in medium bowl. Mash together with 2 forks or a pastry blender (I know you have one of those!) until well blended. Mixture should have some texture to it. Stir in tomatoes and cilantro. Adjust seasonings if needed.
    Makes 2 cups

19. Carolyn Drake on September 1, 2009 at 1:27 pm

guacamole!
    very ripe avocados
    lime juice
    cloves of roasted garlic (to roast garlic, place a whole head of garlic in tin foil, cover with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for about 45 mintutes at 200 degrees)
    roma tomatoes, seeded, diced
    diced onion
    chopped cilantro
    salt
    freshly ground black pepper

depending on the amount of guacamole you need, use more or less of the other ingredients in relation to the number of avocados used.

i positely LOVE you website, thanks for sharing your life with us!

20. Veronika Rojas on September 1, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Wow! This is going to be a busy month. How did you find out about all these national food holidays?

I guess I better start planning my recipes now so that I can keep!

21. Stephanie Lang on September 1, 2009 at 6:31 pm

You have NEVER made guacamole?!!! Girl, homemade guac is a staple! SOOOOO much better than the store-bought kind. Plus, you can add in whatever fun ingredients you like–fresh corn, some cubed mango, the basic tomato…

check out my recipe: http://figsinmybelly.blogspot.com/2009/08/jews-schmooz-barbeques.html

Also, I made your Italian cucidati cookies–my family went bonkers over these! They were almost like fig newtons but with a pie-like crust instead of the mushier soft cookie feel. I did not frost them like you did, but they still came out great! Thanks for the idea!

22. Natalie on September 1, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Coffee Ice Cream day! I think I am going to celebrate!

23. CheapAppetite on September 1, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Wow, cool list. how do you gather all this info? What a fun list. I guess I should bake this month. Does toast count as baking?:) hehe

24. ashley on September 2, 2009 at 10:54 am

whoa -that is a lot of excuses to cook in september! as for a biscuit recipe, this recipe is hands down my fave (how could they not be good with cream in them?!) :-)

thanks for sharing this fabulous list!

25. Gina on September 2, 2009 at 8:12 pm

I don’t need any reasons except that I looove to bake and eat it but this is just that extra motivation to do it! thanks! :)

26. Karen on September 2, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Here’s THE ONE. The best tall, flaky biscuit recipe is right here:

27. Andy on September 3, 2009 at 6:23 am

Oooh…Guacamole!

*3 Ripe Avocados, peeled and mashed [I do a coarse mash..love me some chunky.]
    *3 cloves garlic, minced fine
    *2 shallots, chopped
    *1 plum tomato, chopped
    *1/2 Tbs cumin [more, if you like it]
    *1 tsp cayenne [more if you want it hotter]
    *salt and pepper to taste

Now…here’s my secret weapon: If pomegranate is in season, substitute the seeds from 1/2 of a pomegranate [or the whole thing] for the tomato.

28. Si on September 3, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Guac is my favorite! check out this recipe my dear friend Mary gave me.
    Love the list of official food days!