50 Fall Recipes (that are not apple pie)

Photo by Emily at www.darbyoshea.com

Apple pie is obvious once September rolls around, right? We’re going outside the (apple) box here. I wrangled together 50 recipes that feel warm and cozy and very fall-like to me. I hope you’ll give a couple of them a try over the next few months and love them as much as I do!

Tailgate Food

Or, appetizers. But, it’s certainly football season (and soon to be hockey season), so these are some of my favorites for munching on while watching games. Most are also great to bring along to someone’s house if you’ve been invited over to watch the game, or to take to a tailgate!

1. Artichoke Spinach Dip
2. Barbecued Beans
3. Cheddar Ale Spread
4. Guacamole
5. Onion Rings
6. Pan-Fried Onion Dip
7. Pepperoni Bread (the quick version)
8. Soft Pretzels

Portable Sweets

Easy to transport and just as easy to pick up and eat while walking around a party. Also, some great after-school snack ideas!

9. Anise-Almond Biscotti
10. Apple Hand Pies
11. Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars
12. Gingered Carrot Cake Cookies
13. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
14. Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars
15. Pecan Pie Bars
16. Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
17. Snickerdoodle Blondies
18. Snickery Squares
19. Ultimate Ginger Cookies

Not-So-Portable Desserts

You’ll need dishes or bowls for these, but they’re well worth the trouble of finding a fork or spoon!

20. Brown Sugar-Apple Cheesecake
21. Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake
22. Cappuccino Cinnamon Squares
23. Cinnamon Ice Cream
24. Polenta Ricotta Cake
25. Russian Grandmothers’ Apple Pie-Cake

Wakey-Wakey

Start your day with some of these warm and comforting breakfasts:

26. Beer Waffles with Cinnamon-Caramel Apples
27. Brown Sugar-Bacon Buttermilk Waffles
28. Cinnamon Rolls
29. Polenta French Toast
30. Monkey Bread
31. Vanilla & Brown Sugar Breakfast Polenta

Quick Breakfasts

Make these muffins and scones to have ready for mornings when you don’t have time to stand at the stove (or waffle maker):

32. Allspice Crumb Muffins
33. Maple-Oatmeal Scones
34. Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

Dinner Time!

Because it can’t be all dessert, all the time. Even though the big kid in me wishes it could be.

35. Baked Macaroni and Cheese
36. Beef Stew
37. Cheesy Baked Ziti with Sausage
38. Chili
39. French Onion Soup
40. Homemade Pizza Dough
41. Spaghetti and Meatballs
42. Sweet and Sour Chicken

Beautiful Bread

Few things are more satisfying than watching yeast rise, kneading dough with your bare hands, and the smell of a fresh loaf of bread wafting from the oven. (I’ve thrown in a few quick bread recipes too, just for good measure.)

43. Bananas Foster Banana Bread
44. Black and White Banana Loaf
45. Challah
46. Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
47. Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread
48. Honey-Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
49. Potato Rosemary Bread
50. Three Cheese Beer Bread

Fall Favorites

I can’t write about fall food without sharing with you some of my favorite non-food things about the season.

♥  Crisp, cool evening air.
♥  Walking to the mailbox without breaking a sweat.
♥  The wind carrying the sound of the local high school marching band practicing a half mile away.
♥  Golden yellow, orange and red leaves swirling through the air and landing on blades of grass.
♥  Hoodies.
♥  Sunday football (and with that, fantasy football).
♥  Hockey season starting up again.
♥  The Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin special.
♥  Candy corn.
♥  Hot chocolate.
♥  Pumpkin/spice/harvest beers.
♥  Dark nail polish.

What are your  favorite things about the fall season?

40 Responses to “50 Fall Recipes (that are not apple pie)”

1. notyet100 on September 9, 2010 at 2:34 am

such nice links..

2. joudie's Mood Food on September 9, 2010 at 3:59 am

Great to remind us all of your lovely posts. Going to work my way through them…..

3. Eliana on September 9, 2010 at 7:45 am

Awesome batch of recipes. This list is making me feel better about the fact that I have to wear a jacket when I leave the house this morning.

4. Katrina on September 9, 2010 at 7:54 am

Thanks for the ideas! I love when you do posts like this :)

5. Heather @ The Single Dish on September 9, 2010 at 9:11 am

Fall is my favorite season and I am looking forward to it as well! I can’t wait to go apple picking and make a delicious apple crisp!

6. Angie (Telly's Tasty Tidbits) on September 9, 2010 at 9:13 am

Your list of favorite things about fall is nearly identical to mine. Add in:
    -opening the windows (car and house)
    -reading a good book on the porch with a hot drink, and maybe a throw blanket!

7. Maria on September 9, 2010 at 11:58 am

Funny, I am working on a fall post too:) Love yours!

8. Maranda on September 9, 2010 at 11:59 am

These sound so delicious! Thanks for sharing. I love the Fall but don’t really like apple pie so this is perfect!

9. Katy@BlueEyedBakers on September 9, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Well. Clearly you have excellent taste in website addresses as well as recipes! How amazing do these recipes look! Can’t wait to see how they turn out…doesn’t Fall just make you want to bake away in a warm kitchen…happy cooking and so excited to see the results!

10. Emma on September 9, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Oh my goodness! I love this mix of classic fall foods and unique treats. I can’t wait to try out your recipe for pumpkin scones and cinnamon ice cream! On another note, I think my favorite thing about fall is the sound of the trees blowing in the wind.

11. RavieNomNoms on September 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Oh my! Look at all those awesome recipes! I want to try them all especially the beer waffles, WOWIE! Thanks so much for sharing this! :-)

12. Amanda on September 9, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Great list! I’m definitely going to try the pumpkin scone recipe this fall. They look delicious!

I love fall scents so I usually can’t wait to break out the pumpkin and apple spice candles.

13. Stacie Shepp on September 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Hi Michelle,

What a great list. With all the sports events kicking in right now, I know a lot of these will come to good use this season. Thank you!

14. Lori @ RecipeGirl on September 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Great list! My fave thing about fall is apple picking up in the local mountains… and football season (Go Chargers!)

15. Steph@PlainChicken on September 9, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I love all those things about Fall too! I wish the weather would hurry up and turn cooler!

16. kateiscooking on September 9, 2010 at 3:29 pm

What a wonderful list! I’m one who always likes to get my mailbox down to zero (probably because I can’t seem to stay below 250 at the office!) but I’m going to keep this up til I work my way thru these recipes since there are several I’d like to try. Kate@kateiscooking

17. erinsgobragh on September 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm

That so awesome! Fall is my fave season! Leaves changing, going for walks in the crisp cool air, Halloween decorations, Thanksgiving, cinnamon, apples and nutmeg… and yes my list goes on! :D

18. Nancy@acommunaltable on September 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Found a few things that aren’t on my list – but SHOULD be!! Great excuse (like I need one!) to spend a bit more time in the kitchen!! Wonderful idea for “kicking off” the season – sorry, I just couldn’t resist!!!

Now, if we could just get real fall weather this year….

19. Kristen on September 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Forget menu planning… I’m just coming to this post in the fall! Looks delicious.

20. ClassicKitchenTwist on September 9, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Love this post! I can’t wait for fall either!

21. Magic of Spice on September 9, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Great idea for a post, and nice list :)

22. Janene on September 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I LOVE fall! I’m looking forward to trying out some of these yummy treats, too. I LOVE a good tailgate and have a feeling that the new addition to our family (by addition I mean the giant LED/LCD HD – yadda yadda- TV Jerry bought) is going to mean watching a lot more games at our house and hosting a few more parties, too! :)

23. Belinda @zomppa on September 10, 2010 at 12:06 am

Great ideas – a good post to refer back to. Fall is my favorite season. The weather, the leaves, the harvest….

24. Debi (Table Talk) on September 10, 2010 at 6:38 am

To me there’s nothing better than taking a hike in the mountains on a cool, crisp day and returning home to something warm and wonderful for dinner to help warm back up. You have pulled together a fantastic list of things that would do the trick!

25. Peggy on September 10, 2010 at 8:48 am

I want to have ALL of those things, RIGHT NOW!

26. Michelle on September 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Isn’t fall the best time of year. Wonderful roundup of some great recipes!

27. Georgia @ THe Comfort of Cooking on September 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Thank you so much for sharing all of these wonderful recipes and ideas – You inspired me with the pecan pie bars, which I made last night. They are TO DIE FOR! I actually made them for my father-in-law’s birthday, so I had to send most of them off, but not before I ate a few myself ;) Thanks for the recipe – it’s a keeper!

• Michelle on September 13th, 2010 at 10:12 pm

You’re welcome, Georgia! So thrilled to hear the pecan pie bars were a hit!

28. Grace on September 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Great links. Thanks :)

29. Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat on September 10, 2010 at 10:18 pm

These recipes all sound delicious! My favourite fall foods are pumpkin, apples, and butternut squash. Oh, and I’m definitely rocking the dark nail polish too! :)

30. LimeCake on September 12, 2010 at 3:58 am

pears are my favourite thing about Fall, so i always make cinnamon pancakes with poached pears. your roundup of Fall recipes are so great! i’m bookmarking so many of them!

31. Cookin' Canuck on September 12, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Now I’m really craving the cool weather of fall… and all of the comforting dishes that come with it.

32. Hillery on September 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I made the spaghetti and meatballs last night. The sauce was great…I cut back on the sugar for personal taste but the meatballs were ehhh. I think the recipe called for too much breadcrumbs. We couldn’t get past the breadcrumb taste and it was a little difficult for me to incorporate the milk/breadcrumb mixture after I had already mixed in the other ingredients and they key to making meatballs is NOT to over work the mixture and not to pack them too much when forming them into balls or you get tough meatballs. The sauce recipe is a keeper but I’m sticking with my old trusty meatball recipe for next time!

• Michelle on September 13th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Hi Hillery, Thanks for the review! I’m sorry you didn’t love the meatballs – I’ve never had them turn out too tough or packed together – always very moist. So happy you enjoyed the sauce though!

33. Jen @ How To: Simplify on September 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I love everything about the fall season…sweaters, jeans, color changes, football, tailgating, cider mills, pumpkins, cider, cinnamon and sugar doughnuts, Halloween…and, of course, this list of amazing fall recipes! Yum!

34. Delishhh on September 16, 2010 at 1:11 pm

What an awsome list. Will give me some great idea. I just did my first fall recipe – Butternut Sqaush and Apple soup.

35. madge @ vegetariancasserolequeen on September 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Love your lists! Can’t wait to make my own. All seasons are special to me, but I do have a soft spot for fall!

I’m certainly glad the Steelers pulled it off last weekend!

• Michelle on September 20th, 2010 at 9:32 am

Yay Madge, a Steelers fan! Can’t believe we’re 2-0!

36. tcmaryf on October 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm

What a wonderful post, ty. So many yummy recipes for fall and anytime.

37. Bethany on September 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I came across this blog because I am obsessed with fall lol! I love cooking fall recipes I was wondering wouldn’t an apple spice cheesecake be a good thing to try out? To answer your question I love the cooler temps, the fall colors, cinnamon,(btw fabuloso the cleaning liquid has a new product out called sunset spice and it is the epitome of fall! You can get it at some walmart stores but I believe all Dollar General stores sell it.) I like having bonfires at night and the crunch of the leaves as well. So many things to love about fall they are too many to list! I love autumn because nostalgia kicks in because during the fall I have had the most memorable memories and moments that will stay with me for life :)