10 Perfect Valentine’s Day Desserts

conversation-hearts

It seems that most people fall into one of three categories when it comes to Valentine’s Day:

Group #1: They enjoy the holiday and celebrate. Usually gifts and dinners at nice restaurants are involved.

Group #2: They think Valentine’s Day is nice, but over the top. They still recognize the day with cards, maybe a small gift, and prepare a nice dinner in.

Group #3: This last group completely hates the holiday, brands it a “Hallmark holiday” and wants nothing to do with acknowledging it.

Where do you fall on this spectrum?

Well, for any of you that fall somewhere in the #1 or #2 range, I have prepared for you a list of the most Valentine-worthy desserts that have graced this site over the last three years. Rich and decadent, just like the love you’re celebrating, these dishes are the perfect way to cap off a wonderful meal together.

hershey's-perfectly-chocolate-cake

Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake
It’s the best chocolate cake I have ever made, and paired with the chocolate frosting – it’s to die for.

IMG_7820-3

Hidden Berry Cream Cheese Torte
I am a lover of all things cheesecake, and this torte falls into my Top 3 favorite cheesecakes. The crust is a shortbread and the combination of that with the berry flavor and cheesecake just can’t be beat.

IMG_8052-3

Almost Fudge Gateau
Incredibly rich, decadent, and chocolatey, it just screams Valentine’s Day!

IMG_8155-2

Tiramisu
Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts, and this recipe rivals those I’ve tasted in fabulous Italian restaurants. If a whole recipe will be too much for you, scale it back and serve it in individual cups or goblets.

IMG_8523-3

Cheesecake Truffles
Again with my cheesecake infatuation, but really – cheesecake covered in smooth dark chocolate? In my world, a better truffle could never exist.

IMG_8365-2

Gooey Chocolate Cakes
These cakes are soft in the center, allowing the warm chocolate to rush like flowing lava into the vanilla ice cream. Throw in some berries, and you have a perfectly cozy and delicious dessert.

IMG_9126-3

Strawberry Mirror Cake
A lighter alternative to the richness of most other desserts, this is a delicious sponge cake filled with strawberry mousse and topped with a shiny strawberry gelatin “mirror”. Complete honesty here – this one is a bit complicated and I would rank it on an “intermediate” level in terms of difficulty.

IMG_9630-3

Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake
Another cheesecake in my Top 3 and for good reason: an Oreo crust, a cheesecake filling dotted with bits of brownies, and all topped with a chocolate ganache. One of the most popular recipes on Brown Eyed Baker, it’s sure to become one of your favorites as well.

chocolate-peanut-butter-torte

Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte
Chocolate and peanut butter are as natural a combination as bologna and cheese, chips and dip, beer and wings…you get the picture. This is phenomenal: Oreo crust with a peanut butter mousse filling and chocolate ganache topping. I just made it again this past weekend for my Chief Culinary Consultant’s birthday and we spent four days devouring it (and there is still some left!). A definite five-star, two thumbs up dessert.

IMG_0191-3

Classic Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
The perfect accompaniment to many of the desserts above, or enjoy a bowl with your favorite toppings. Think “make your own sundae”!

*NOTE: For an updated list with over 35 recipes, check out the 2011 version of Valentine’s Day Desserts

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

25 Responses to “10 Perfect Valentine’s Day Desserts”

1. shelly (cookies and cups) on February 9, 2010 at 7:34 am

they all sound great! Especially that brownie cheesecake. I fall into group #2, especially since Valentines is one of my son’s birthday!

2. Angie on February 9, 2010 at 9:10 am

I was actually thinking about making Tiramisu for V-day this year – now I have a recipe to use! I’d say I fall in to group #2, however my husband is between 2 & 3. The poor guy though, we have our anniversary, then 2 weeks later my birthday THEN 3 days later V-Day… I think he’s spent by the time it rolls around, which is why I’m always more than happy to just prepare a nice fun meal by the fire at our own house.

3. rere on February 9, 2010 at 9:47 am

i enjoy your site very much. i fall in group #2. the desserts look very very tasty!

4. Maria on February 9, 2010 at 11:12 am

I will take one of each:)

5. TammyJo Eckhart, PhD on February 9, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I’ll probably make some simply brownies myself even though I’ve had a lot to review these past few weeks from chocolatiers and companies for Valentine’s Day. If you don’t care if you celebrate or not on that day, I suggest going on the 15th to find sales.

6. Angela@spinachtiger on February 9, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I fall into category number 1, maybe even more so. I like to go away, but that is not always feasible. This year, we are “brunching” it at our favorite restaurant, then perhaps a movie or home by the fire. And, we will celebrate all weekend long with treats. He’s getting a very special gift too, and he’ll be surprised.

7. Angela@spinachtiger on February 9, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Whoops forgot to say your desserts look glorious. He would go for that peanut butter thing….me the chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream.

8. Taryn on February 9, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Ooh these all look amazing – I’m going to have to try the almost fudge gateau this year! I think I must be in the second group – we splurge on a fantastic restaurant we’ve been dying to try, and I always make him something small. More than anything I love a night out with delicious wine and no annoying loud talkers in close proximity :-)

9. Alison on February 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I think I’m definitely in Group #2. I pretend to hate on Valentine’s Day but then I also just went around the Oldways office passing out heart-shaped lollipops. Hm. :)

10. Teresa on February 9, 2010 at 3:01 pm

What lovely recipes. I really like the Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake. Being “empty nesters” I’m sure my honey and I will think of something to do. :)

11. Bibiana Bailey on February 9, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I kind of fall in between #1 and #2. I think it’s nice. Dinner out or in doesn’t really matter. If we go out we go day before or day after and gifts are very small usually kids made.

Tiramisu is my ultimate LOVE dessert as long as I make it.I’ve been disappointed too many times.

12. Camille on February 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I’m creating category #4: Been burned by love so they boycott the holiday except for the sake of their children, for whom they dote upon to express their motherly love and appreciation for them!

And any of these recipes will do just that! I love what you post!

13. Gina on February 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I’m in group 2 and I can’t wait to make the Hershey’s chocolate cake!!

14. Danielle on February 9, 2010 at 7:54 pm

These all look AMAZING!!!

We fall in between 1 and 2, depends on the year. This year, #2. Steak, Potatoes, and my favorite, Strawberry Cheesecake. Throw in some champagne, and we are set!

15. caseyw on February 9, 2010 at 8:04 pm

My husband falls into #3. I fall kind of in between 2 and 3 and vacillate to #1 when I’m feeling like I want some extra-special attention!
    I think I’ll try the cheesecake truffles, though – two of my husband’s favorite treats!

16. Megan on February 9, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Normally I go for gooey chocolate cake (especially molten cakes), but I’m going to make a different kind of cake this year. It will be on my blog on or around Valentine’s Day. We’re staying in… I’m planning an amazing dinner. I would so much rather stay in than deal with crowded restaurants. Happy Valentine’s Day!

17. Jessica @ The Process of Healing on February 10, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’m for sure a #2. I think it’s great that there is a day set aside to show love to the person/people you care about but I also think that you should do it every day, you know? But I have to say, being single gives you an entirely different perspective on the holiday than when you are with someone.

OMG.. those desserts look incredible. Absolutely incredible. I’m a HUGE chocolate lover… will be bookmarking a loooot of those :D

18. annie on February 10, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I fall in with #2. I agree it’s a special day, though it has become so commercialised, just like other holidays, that it sometimes loses its meaning. You should definitely show your love every single day, because life is so short. Any of the above goodies would be awesome to serve on V-DAY. Have a great one.

19. nicole on February 10, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I fall in like with number 2 – those desserts are to die for! wow!

20. Erika on February 11, 2010 at 11:32 am

My plans are to loose the 20 lbs I just gained viewing this post.. :)

21. Angela Gast on February 11, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Those all look delicious!! Especially the hidden berry cheese cake torte and the tarmisu. YUM!! Thanks for sharing.

22. Angie on February 11, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I shouldn’t have came here, I am never gonna lose these 10 lbs on my hips! These desserts look so good, especially the tiramisu, I’m pretty sure I am making that Sunday, yum! I wish I was in group 3, so I could save money lol, but I am in group 1 to the extreme. I love any reason to celebrate, life’s too short not to.

23. Heather F on February 11, 2010 at 11:48 pm

What a pity that my husband doesn’t like cheesecake, I’m dreaming of all things cheesecake… I may just have to make that chocolate peanut butter torte instead. Amazing list, thank you for sharing!

24. Tiffany Rosenberger on February 12, 2010 at 8:24 am

Such great ideas! I love Hershey’s recipe for Chocolate cake…I can’t find a better one…

Great post!

25. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on February 13, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Great choices! I make the Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake all of the time… it’s one of my favorite recipes!